[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: gmhei....thingy

Hi Marc,

At 10:45 AM 05/19/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>note to all,
>i've been working on geting my name on the gmhei...thingy. whew this is
>not as easy as one would think. i have burnt two coils so far, the
>primary shorts out very easy.

Be sure it is tuned just right.  You may need to vary the primary
capacitance some in order to tune the coil to get the longest sparks (since
you can't change the primary tap to adjust the tuning).  In my case it was
1.7uF.  If the energy does not make it to the outut spark it tends to cook
the primary.  Be sure to try both polarities too since it does make a
difference.  Try to get it all turned up and running at low power before
going for the really big sparks.

>i tried to get some specs. from gm-ac delco but they must use these
>things in some sort of nuclear physics systems or something because they
>told me the information i requested was top secret.

That's funny!!  At least you got some response out of them ;-)  If you need
to know something I think we have a bunch of the inductance numbers and all
that.  It does vary a bit from coil to coil.  I saw someone had some real
test specs once but they were not very significant.  Also, any pulblished
numbers will be for the coil with the steel core in the coil, so all the
inductances and such will be different for us.

>good luck to all that are trying, i have baught two more coils but i
>don't think terry has to worry for a while.

:-))  I have not heard of anyone getting very close so far but I know there
are some people with some really good ideas out there.

Cheers,

	Terry