[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sonotube coil

In <4.1.20000518190212.009e79b0-at-pop.dnvr.uswest-dot-net>, on 05/18/00
   at 07:02 PM, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:

>Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>Hi Alan,

>Nice coil. I had to reply as your coil is almost "identical" to my
>own. I'm using sonutube as well - 12.5" x 44" (18 awg) for the
>secondary. Primary is 3/8" diam. and spacing. Pole pig driven system.
>Last July before I moved to CA, I ran it outside the garage and was
>hitting about 85" average sparks and periodic spark lengths around 90
>- 95". I too was breaking out at about 3 - 4 streamers at a time. I
>couldn't get away from this with the toroid I was using. The gap used
>was a SRSG G10/tungsten at 240BPS. The cap size used was 0.04uF. Your
>cap size does appear large, but apparently was charging just fine.
>Assuming you are at 120 BPS at your gap? Say, you didn't happen to
>measure input power, did you? It would be interesting to note the
>spark length to power input.

I'm just getting started on the capacitance. Still have enough caps
for two more .01uF mmcs and five more of the Fair Radio caps. Gonna
add 'em one at a time and see. The break is supposed to be 120bps, but
not really sure. I don't have a wattmeter yet, so just use va rating.
I'm going to look for one at some hamfests next month. How big is your
toroid? Mine is so wide and bulky, it's hard to handle getting it on
top of the coil. I'm going to try and smooth it out some more. Wasn't
expecting multiple streamers when I built this one.

>I just got my own coil operational this last weekend. I ran it in the
>garage and hit house wiring running along a cross beam 50" from the
>coil (lit up every light in the garage). I'll have to move the house
>wiring back on one of the cross beams nearer to the house before I
>can run in the garage again. It will be interesting to compare our
>coils from time to time in the future since they are very similar.

I didn't like running my other coils inside when the sparks started
running along the rafters and connecting to nails in the drywall. Had
to get outside. This one wouldn't fit inside anyway. My porch is too
small for it. I was always worried about hitting some wiring too.

>Great work on your coil Alan,
>Bart

Thanks Bart. Yours sounds like a good one also. I know you post a lot
of messages, but didn't remember you describing your setup. What is
your input power, by the way?

Later,
Alan
ajones-at-pointlink-dot-net