[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why Medhurst derived fr is approxiamlty correct and thetransmission line equation for the resoance frequency of a 1/4 wave helical resonator or Tesla coil.

Hi Marc,

At 12:34 AM 05/18/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>" note to moderators, i will understand if you decide not to post this."

As long as a post is directly related to Tesla coils and is not "naughty",
I post everything...  The number of rejected posts is in the low single
digit percentages (maybe 3%) and those are pretty obvious...  I typically
don't get into the nitpicky judgment call stuff but rather let the list
members "guide" the list themselves.  Rarely, I will kill a thread and get
"Draconian" if things get out of hand...

>  i have been folowing this thread with great intriege. although i admit
>that it is very thick reading for my limited intelegence. and that my
>posted questions are considered uninformed by most.

We hope that even though some many not understand everything, they can get
a glimpse of the "heavy stuff" and get an idea of what's what with such
subjects.

> the two things that i visualize in this is that i have seen no mention
>of  the natural frequncy of the earth itself, the shuman frequency of
>7.8 hz surounds everything in our inerspace. therefor this freq. will
>always act upon any resonant circut.
> also for trying to factor actual spark lengh using pure math. self c of
>a coil or c of a top load i would think that it would fluctuate with the
>capacitance of the atmosphere.

The Earth resonance and "wireless transmission" side of coiling comes up
periodically and Bill Wysock and others are discussing this today in other
posts.  I guess that "I" am not a big supporter of this but Tesla's
original intention was to transmit power...  I do not belive useful power
transmission at great distances has ever been demonstrated using Tesla
coils despite the vast amount of "talk" regarding the subject...

> in my lightnig capturing era, i never fired a rocket until the
>atmosphere capacitance reached at least 15pf or above. i myself never
>fire my coil in a lightning storm for the streamers set up a positive
>zone that is to inviteing for the negative electrons in a lighting bolt
>to follow.
> this can be ignored if wished but maybe if these where factored in
>something might come out. as i have stated before i am electronicaly
>chalenged but my powers of visualation are far supirior then most. i
>also know that the first gigasecond of breakout does not come from the
>top wind of the secondary but from the bottem winding, then the power
>folds over itself like turning a sock inside out.  thus the end of the
>stramer is from the last turn that has allways been charged to to same
>potential all along.

I don't see why the breakout would first occur at the bottom winding where
the voltages are very low.

Cheers,

	Terry