From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 5:08 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Solid versus stranded Wire

Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>

On 17 May 00, at 4:54, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "G. G. Ford" <swimp-at-home-dot-com>
>
> About at TC Freqs, Solid better than Stranded wire...
>
> Is that because of the higher intrinsic inductance
> of smaller diameter wire, causing increased voltage
> drop?!

No - inductance is lossless. We are talking about losses and
therefore resistance. All else being equal, stranded wire is
measureably lossier than solid section, presumably due to skin
effect artifacts. I have measured this in quite short lengths of wire.
Area for area, litz is better than both as it has a greater effective
cross sectional area due to the insulation between strands. I am not
saying that a resonator built with stranded wire will produce inferior
results however - primary losses and output spark losses are
dominant.

Regards, Malcolm