[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microwave Oven Transformers

> Original Poster: "R.L. Hilbun" <SEIOKC-at-swbell-dot-net>
>
> Has anyone successfully used MOTs?
>
> They can't be more dangerous than a pole pig!
>
> At 1500 volts each, do you put 8 or ten in series?
>
> What about using two or four and a voltage doubler(s)?
>
> How do you handle the one side of the HV that is usually connected to the
> core?

    Numerous posts in the archives at www.pupman-dot-com will help you with these
questions:  just use the search option on the main menu.  But just to give
you a digest, since I know a bit about Mots--
    1.  They are as dangerous as pole pigs--but more innocous.  I've never
had the misfortune of being shocked by one, but I really don't want to know.
    2.  They are high current devices, and depending upon the application may
need to be current limited.
    3.  Mots are usually arranged in a center tapped config.  for 4kv, or
used in conjunction with doublers for 4kv.  Series staging has some
difficulties which are not insurmountable, but are still time consuming.
When you stage transformers you subject the second and third stages to
overvoltage conditions which result both in insulation overstress and
saturation effects.  Insulation overstress can be dealt with by potting in
insulating compound, and saturation by overvoltage can be remedied by
seriesing the primaries and knocking out the shunts.  Both these double and
triple the weight of your power supply, and the time spent on the project.
It all depends upon how much you are willing to pay not to pay any money ;
).  Most beginners use NST's since they are already current limited, and are
a suitable voltage for the application.
    However if you look back in the archives you will find a small contingent
of Motties who may only use 2 transformers back to back, and get amazing
results.  Good luck!
                --Mike