[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary winding

Brad,

I once used stranded, plastic insulated wire to wind a Tesla coil
secondary, and it gave satisfactory performance on a 1KW coil.  The main
drawback is that it goes on at lower turns-per-inch than enamel insulated
magnet wire.  For example, the 22 gauge stranded wire I used went on at 20
turns-per-inch, whereas 22AWG magnet wire winds on at 37 turns-per-inch.
The result of the low winding density is that the coil operates at higher
frequency.  This, in turn, leads to fewer primary turns for a given tank
cap size.  I suggest you wind an inch of your plastic coated wire on a
dowel or something to measure its turns-per-inch, then run the numbers
through WinTesla and make sure you'll have at least two primary turns for
your planned cap size.

Best Regards,

Greg
www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla