From: Tesla List [<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 1:27 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Protecting a potential transformer

Original Poster: "Jay Stone" <jaykstone-at-home-dot-com>

Hello fellow coilers!!!

Having recently blown up my second 15/60 neon on my 6" coil, I have decided
it's time for something different.  I have recently acquired a transformer
which I am told is rated at 20 KV, 2 KVA.  I am trying to get more info about
this xfmr such as BIL rating etc which I don't currently have.  I think it is
some sort of potential transformer.  It has multiple taps on the 120VAC side
for +/-5% and 10%, and a large, round epoxy sealed winding.  One side of
the HV
winding is tied to gnd and the other to a single terminal on the top.  Does
anyone know what this is?

Since one side of the HV winding is tied to gnd, I believe I will have to use
an Oudin coil configuration w/  one side of primary tank coil at gnd.  I plan
to use an unmodified 20A variac in series with the 120VAC side of the
transformer for ballast at least to start with.  I know it will probably
saturate and tend to overheat but I hope this will be ok for short runs.  Will
this work?

The other question I have is about protecting the HV side of the transformer.
Should I use a safety gap and a choke or some sort of RC filter like one might
use on a NST?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ,

Jay