[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Semi-Rotten Spark Length

  Finn -

  You are correct in that the continuous spark is actually a series of
individual sparks  occuring at each bang. It should be noted that the
controlled spark makes all of the sparks the same length and not varying in
length as in the typical TC operation. When the sparks are the same length
they will produce an approximate constant load.

I agree that a standardized spark test for Tesla coils is needed if coil
comparison tests are to be useful. However, I realize that recommendind a
method that gives shorter sparks would not be a popular test with coilers.
The advantage of the controlled spark is that it makes comparison test more
meaningful because the load is not varying.

  John Freau is performing some interesting experiments that are helpful and
can be used to set up a TC data table. He is finding the charge (not
overall) efficiency by using    cap watts/input watts. The problem with this
method is that the cap watts are not constant and will vary with  the length
of each output spark.

  I have not heard of a method to determine the cap watts for each output
spark during a continuous spark test. In order to find this cap watts one
would have to find the difference in joules in the cap both before and after
the particular bang. This requires knowing how much voltage is left on the
cap after each discharge. The one shot test would not help because the
output sparks depend on the previous spark conditions during continuous
operation.

  John Couture