[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: VICTOREEN SGCA-2500D (radioactive nickel)

The nickel is there to stablize the breakdown voltage of the gap by
insuring that there are always some ions in the space between the gap. This
is a well known technique, and irradiation to stablize the breakdown is
actully required when making sphere gap measurements. You can irradiate
with UV, or with radioactive elements. Co60 has also been used, but Ni is
safer. Krytrons, which are a form of triggered spark gap, use a radioactive
Krypton isotope for the same reason.