[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tesla coil safety

There's not much data on exactly what electricity does to the human body.
Most of the standards are based on current (which is practically nothing
from a Tesla coil).  Note that electrical impulses can "take control" of
your muscles (e.g. your muscles twitch).  If this occurs in your heart
muscle, it could potentially be dangerous.  I seem to
remember 60hz being particularly dangerous.  A tesla coil usually is much
higher frequency, however.  I'm sure there will be others who will say you
will immediately die if you touch the output of a coil, but I wouldn't be
able to prove it.  There are a number of factors involved in whether or
not an electrical shock is "dangerous" (e.g. whether or not you are
grounded, humidity, skin moisture, etc -- the list is very long).  Just
because it wasn't "dangerous" the first time doesn't mean you couldn't
hurt yourself if you did it on a continuous basis.  I've heard of people
who ionize themselves with tesla coils all the time and never suffered
any adverse effects, but it couldn't be good for you.

As for using Hg instead of salt water, I suppose it would work, but you'd
need a lot of it.  Hg is pretty expensive (not to mention toxic).

                        - A. Banerjee