[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: small maggie question

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bunnykiller" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>
>
> been thinking  ( uhoh ) ...   why cant a normal TC ( flat primary ...
> etc ) be used in conjunction with a second "secondary" that is tuned to
> the same Hz output of the "standard" TC ???
>
> for example ...   standard  TC with no top load on secondary resonates
> at 150KHz....   the maggie coil ( smaller second secondary ) is wound
> and topped off with a toroid to tune at 150 KHz ...
>
> my thinking is ...  the output from the "TC" would drive the second
> secondary ( matched Hz ) and cause a resonate rise in the second
> secondary ergo ...  longer streamers...
>
> am i still on the wrong thinking track ???

When you connect the two coils, they will, in first approximation,
resonate as a single coil. For example, if the secondary and third
coils are identical, and far enough so we can ignore the magnetic
coupling, the resulting inductance doubles. Considering the self-
capacitance of both coils absorbed in the terminal capacitance C3,
the combination resonates at f=1/(2*pi*(L2+L3)*C3), that is lower
than the original resonance frequencies. The correct tuning for
the combination is around the relation L1*C1=(L2+L3)*C3.
But more can be done: By adjusting the capacitance from the
top of the secondary to ground it is possible to reach a condition
where all the primary energy is transferred to the third coil,
with no energy in the primary and secondary coils and capacitors
when the output voltage is maximum. The relations are then more
complicated: See:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz