[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: variac witha 15kv/60 NST

Hi Ron,

At 08:13 PM 03/25/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>My Powerstat 10A variac is not working for me anymore though, it pops
>fuses as fast as I can replace them.  Should I have expected that?

My 15/60 draws 8.5 amps with power factor caps and about 14 amps without.
Adding about 150uF of AC motor run caps may help.  You can also replace the
fuses with 15 amp slow blow.  My problem was that I could not run the coil
and gap on a 15 amp breaker so I put in 200uF of PFC caps which brought the
total current of the coil and gap motor to about 13 amps.  If the powerstat
is in good shape, it can easily take 15 amps for intermittent duty.  I have
a small fan on mine which greatly helps too.

Cheers,

	Terry