[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Homebrew variac paralleling choke

SNIPPERZZZ...

> I need to parallel two variacs (two 10A are available, and I need 20A).  I
> was planning on winding my own paralleling choke with some 14-AWG wire, but
> I don't have a EI core "laying" around.  How many problems would I create
> for myself if I just used a solid bar of steel of suitable size (say a 1.5"
> diameter solid bar)?  I realize this is less than ideal, but it's my only
> real option at this point (unless I can run a 15/120 system on a single 10A
> variac...).
>
> Mark B

Hi Mark ...

 a word of warning   DO NOT  run 15KV/120mA on a 10 A variac   you will
fry the windings on the variac in a new york second...

as far as the solid bar...  it may work but i believe it would more
likely to be a problem maker than a problem solver. some good
applications that use healthy sized EI cores are big battery chargers (
car batteries ), Computer back up systems, or low volt high amp power
supplies...

call a few scrap yards or better yet go visit them and look around if
thier policy permits it...

Scot D