[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

further comments about my srsg - long post.

Hi All,

 In my last post I reported about the difference the new srsg
with 8 electrodes had made to the performance of my TC.
 Last week I used my inductive pickup and have been mapping
the breakpoint of my gap against the incoming waveform and
also determining the amount of shift I was getting with my
control variac. Will be on my website soon.
 This, of course, involved much switching on and off of the
srsg motor etc., taking measurments and photos etc. etc.
 During all this I had the firing system disabled so that no
surprises could interrupt me!!

 Well......

 I finally finished and some friends had asked to see the coil
running. I was all setup and pressed the firing button and all heck
broke loose!!.

 The gap sounded worse than it has ever sounded, I had racing
arcs up and down the secondary and the safety was firing at
least once a second, Murphy had me in mind when he wrote his laws!!

 I can dial in about 35deg shift in breakpoint but no difference
whatsoever. My friends stood there and wondered whether I had been
stretching the truth about what it performs like etc.

 Two days of stuffing around looking and looking without any answers -
then my wife, looked at the motor shaft and
asked why the lineup marks weren't in line anymore!! Turns out that
everytime I started up the srsg motor, the stationary inertia of the new
G10 disk would cause it to slip ever so slightly before locking up. It
had slipped enough to be out of range of my phase shifter to bring it
back into line, even though it was locked up with two locking screws!!

 Some adjustments later and vroom, back in business. What all of this
did was to suggest to me that

a) It is absolutely imperative to have some control of the firing point
of the srsg to maximise performance. Don't assume that just fitting a
srsg will instantly bring performance gains, more work must be done.

b) All racing arcs and safety gap activity completely cease when the
srsg is firing at the correct position. Could this be behind many of the
problems people have and not overcoupling.

c) There is a pronounced difference in the sound of and sight of the gap
when firing at the correct position as opposed to when it's not. I
intend to take a short video of my gap when 'out of position' and then
'in position' to demonstrate the difference. Until I saw and heard it
myself I had no point of reference to tell the difference, I had read
all the posts about 'you'll know when it's right', but in all honesty I
didn't until now.

 I will let you know when I get this all up on the webpage.

 Best Regards

 Robin Copini.