[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TC Limits

Hi Mark,
For long sparks higher charge frequencies result in higher losses so lower
charge frequency coils prevail.
Your need for only 50kV may mitigate what most are after - long sparks.
There are small ones, such as my furnace igniter about 1.5" tall !
even stun guns use the TD technique (spark gap and all)

The coefficient of coupling is easiest set empirically,
increase Pri/Sec proximity until onset of undesirable
arcing Pri to Sec or inter Sec then back off a bit.

I've experimented with standard Xenon flashtube gaps
on my .1uF 7kV 2.5J manually triggered DCTC (see archives)
Tubes long enough to hold off sufficient voltage possess too much series R
My TC did fire but at much sacrifice of spark length.
If you parallel enough long ones it may work well enough.
I was using 4-6"L 1/4 to 3/8"D tubes which were designed for
~2kVdc (20uF = 40J) fire with hold off ~5kVdc (too low for most TCers)

Tubes short enough to be low series R possess too little hold off voltage.

If one could custom the tubes a good compromise could likely be reached.

My manual pneumatic control implements Jennings or Kilovac 25kV vacuum SPDT
relay
jogging the contacts close enough to arc w/o closing to avoid welding.

Regards, Dale
Redondo Beach, Calif