[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FREE NST's

>Original Poster: "Trent Mullins" <neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>Hello Everbody!!

Hi Trent.

>Okay, here's the deal...

You sound like me.

>I will ship free a used 12000v 30ma NST to the person
>who answers my questions the best,
>I only have 1 of these NST's to give away so only the best answer will get
>the NST. (free shipping)
>Continental US only please ( I can't spend a fortune.)

Keep your NST (I don't play with anything under 60mA as a rule anyway), or
give it to Fucian....he need's stuff bad.
I will do my best to answer your questions because I want to help a fellow
newbie.

Tell me what you have..

>Okay, this is what I have....
>
>1.   A helical primary 60 degrees from horizontal, 8 turns of .25 copper
>tube
>spaced .5 inches between turns,
>      17"OD and 11"ID.
>
>2.   A 36" tall, 6"OD hollow secondary wrapped with 1615 turns 44.8
>turns/inch
>of 24 gauge magnet wire.
>
>3.   Two 15kV 60mA NST's wired in parallel for 15kV 120mA.
>
>4.   Two .01uf 100kVdc caps from Fair Radio Sales wired in parallel for
>.02uf
>total.
>
>5.    A 13"x4" brushed aluminum torroid.
>
>  These are my questions...
>

>1.     Will this work?

probably, but it will suck.

I have a 6" X 24" Secondary wound with 22AWG, I would reccomend the same for
you. Wind it on a piece of PVC pipe, and DO NOT USE BLACK OR GRAY PIPE, only
white or Green. Black contains Carbon...and you WILL set the thing on fire
in short order.

I'm guessing you used 50' of .25" copper pipe for your primary. Rewind it on
a tighter form. Mine is Flat, made from a 50' and a 20' piece with a splice.
I have a 10.5"ID for the sec to sit in, it is 15 turns at .25" between turns
in 1/2" thick UHMW forms.

You're Caps are great, and should work well for a long time, the value is
fine for the power input.

>2.     How do I attach the primary coil to the base that the secondary is
>mounted to?

Make a Primary Coil Form from whatever you like, I would reccomend UHMW,
it's cheap, easy to find, and machines like butter. Get 6 pieces about
12"long, 1/2" thick, and 2" wide. Machine them on end, stacked together, and
offset slightly (do the math). If you use a 1/4" mill, the tubeing will snap
right in to a 1/2" deep slot and it will hold it perfectly.

>3.     Is there enough spacing between the primary and secondary?

Put the first turn of the secondary just above the primary, about an inch.

>4.     Explain to me where and how I tap the secondary?

Leave 2' of wire on each end of the coil. The bottom one goes through a hole
on the table (Primary Coil Form) that is RIGHT NEXT TO OR JUST UNDER the
secondary, too close to the primary and it WILL arc, this wire goes to your
RF ground. The top wire goes to the toroid on the bottom, in the middle. Cut
off excess wire as needed.

>5.     How do I ground the secondary?

Connect the bottom wire of the sec to your RF ground. Also connect your NST
case ground, safety gap center ground, and anything else on the HV side
ground to your RF ground. Your RF ground is a 6AWG cable connected to an 8'
ground rod, NOT YOUR HOUSE GROUND!

>6.     How do you coat the secondary with polyurethane?

For our coil we used a massive overkill. We dipped the entire sec form in
varnish before winding, and baked it for hours. It got several coats this
way. Then it was wound on a lathe (BIG LATHE), and recieved several coats
with bakeing in between coats.

A paintbrush works well, let it sit for a night before the next coat. 3
before, 5 after is enough. MAKE SURE IT WAS DRY FIRST!!!!!!!!
You should bake it in your oven for 6 hours at a LOW temp, like 150 or so
(don't melt it) to drive out ALL the water.

>7.     What is the easiest and cheapest way to build a spark gap for this?

A simple RQ gap is fine, instructions are on the net everywhere. If you need
more details, or want to copy my CrapGap II then email me at
chrisboden-at-geekgroup-dot-org and I'll be happy to help.

>8.     How do I attach the torroid?

I don't, I set it on top of a small piece of 5" pipe and attach the wire to
a bolt through the toroid with an alligator clip (I change toploads alot.)

>9.     Is there anything else I need?

About 200 hours of reading, some HV safety training, and a healthy dose of
pain administered in several ways before you have this done (burns,
blisters, cuts, shocks....etc)

GET a pair of earmuffs, and safety goggles.

>10.    And finally, explain in LAYMAN'S terms how to hook all of this
>together.
>          Example: connect one lead off the transformer to the cap, hook
>the
>other lead to the...

AFTER you have it all built it will hook up like this.

Connect them in this order.......

1. RF ground post (or whatever) to one end of you 6AWG cable.
2. Other end of RF ground to a small terminal on the bottom of your Primary
Col Form (the underside of the table). THIS TERMINAL DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE
PRIMARY IN ANY WAY!!!!!
3. Connect Secondary Bottom lead to the RF ground terminal.
4. Connect a 10AWG wire to EACH NST case ground.
5. Connect a 10AWG wire From the NST gounds to the RF ground terminal.
6. Connect a 10AWG wire from your Safety Gap Ground to the RF ground
terminal.
7. PHASE YOUR NST's (for instructons on this just ask the list, or email me
if you don't know already)
8. Connect HV terminal #1 of your NST supply to one side of the safety Gap
with 10AWG wire.
9. Connect HV terminal #1 of your NST supply to one side of your Spark Gap
with 10AWG wire.
10 Connect HV terminal #2 of the NST supply to the other side of the spark
and safety gaps the same way as the 1st side.
11. Connect one side of the capacitor to the center turn of the primary with
10AWG wire.
12. Connect the other side of the cap bank to one side of the Spark Gap with
10AWG wire.
13. Connect the other side of the spark gap to your primary tap point with
10AWG wire, this should terminate in an alligator clip.
14. Connect your primary connections of the nst's to your control panel, or
if you're feeling lucky........an extection cord, but I would not reccomend
it.

I would reccomend Larger wire than 10AWG, but it will work, it's what I use.
Bt I am upgrading to 6 soon.

>Thanks in advance,
><mailto:neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org