[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass Capacitor

At 11:38 AM 22/03/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Scott Stephens" <Scott2-at-Mediaone-dot-net>
>
>Who has used plate glass for their capacitor, what specs and what results? I
>remember someone complaining a while back it was very heavy. I'm considering
>stacked plates with aluminum foil in between:
>10" x 10" with 1/4" on the edges painted with corona dope
>.05" or .1" thick plate glass for 12KV?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott

Hello Scott:

I used a plate glass cap for my first coil.  It is indeed heavy, but it
is also cheap.  If I remember right, the glass plates measured 9" x 7"
and the aluminum plates 7" x 5" which gave me a one inch margin around
the edges.  The plates had tabs on them, and as I layed up the stack I
alternated the tabs so that they formed the two connections for the
completed cap.  I placed the entire assembly in a Tupperware container
and covered it with mineral oil to enhence the insulation.

There are MUCH better caps, like the MMC, but you can't beat the price
of the plate glass cap, and if nothing else it will give you a bit of
building experience.  I'm presently using what I call my 10 litre cap
which is made from 9 one litre PE cider bottles contained in a "bath"
of brine.  Each bottle is filled with brine and has a threaded rod in
it forming the one electrode, while a plate under the bottles forms
the other electrode.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca