[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bipolar or half wave.

HI Luc,

> Original Poster: "Luc" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

<snip>

> Tx for your attention ,you suggest using a passive resonator as counter
> poise for a quarter wave resonator ? I imagine you need to use the same
> inductace,same self capacitance and same top laud but  out of the field of
> the primary .Do you know if it's an advantage in regard of a half wave or a
> bipolar resonator.

It is an advantage in some respects (the resonators can be quite big
without being overly long and can be mounted vertically like the 1/4
wave system. Ideally the resonators are identical but there is a
"However" to be aware of: because only one of the resonators is
driven there is an impedance imbalance between them that can
cause pri-sec flashovers for the driven resonator under some
conditions (e.g. top loadings could be made different to reduce the
imbalance). I would rate the scheme fine for a small coil but might
be a problem for a powerful system. Pri-sec flashovers don't bother
me in small systems. I've yet to see one kill a transformer if the
transformer is electrically close to the main gap.
     Perhaps the real "ideal" to make this scheme happen well is to
have a magnifier type driver built so it is balanced to earth with
opposite secondary ends feeding each resonator. That avoids the
resonator imbalance but problems might still arise if the output of
one of the resonators touches ground and the other doesn't. I've
used the scheme in a small coil but haven't bothered to pursue it
further.  The English is fine by me :)

Regards,
Malcolm