[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: NST question

Hello,

I have never measured this stuff, however this is what I was told
by a friend of mine that makes neon art lights for a hobby.  A
NST does not really deliver a constant 15KV-at-60ma, or at least they
are not designed that way.  Since they are designed more for neon
lights they behave something like this.  When there is a high resistive
load on them such starting a neon light initially, they will give
you the 15KV at a lower than 60ma.  This allow the breakdown of the
neon light to occur and get a plasma started.  Once this occurs the
load is no longer highly resistive, then it may deliver 60ma however
it will no longer be delivering 15KV, it will be something in between.
I think this has something to do with the shunts.

Cheers,
Bill Parn