[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

heater on toroid

Hi,

just some weirdo idea here... what would happen if one placed a
powerful heater - maybe some coiled up wire shortening a strong battery -
on the topload? I'm not thinking about the heat (i.e. not a candle), but
the glowing metal that releases electrons into the surroundings before
having streamers breaking out. (some sort of pre-ionization before the
breakout voltage in the field distribution around the heater is reached)

I've only a small coil and it would crash below my car battery, and
having wires extend to the toroid from elsewhere wouldn't be nice either,
so I can't try it myself, though I'd like to.

Would there be any observable/theoretic benefits or neat effects? Or no
effect at all? At least blue haze around the heater?

just being curious...

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner