[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

HomeMade Poly Cap

Hi All,

    In the coming weeks I plan to make a rolled poly cap for my medium
power TC...
Okay, here's the catch: The plastic I can get is approx. $6 per 250 sq
ft roll which is 4 mil.   In order to conservatively rate my cap I'll
need at least 70 sheets per cap (I'm planning on making 3; then putting
them in parallel... )   Does that sound like alot of cutting for one
cap? The sheets must be 16" x 150" (40mm x 375mm for all you metric
coilers) which must be as perfect as possible.
    Does 1/2 kV per mil sound okay as a voltage rating for LDPE (low
density polyethylene) ? Also, does anyone know where to find some real
bonafide High Voltage Oil like that found in pole pigs?
    This is my first rolled cap so I thought I would get some advice
before spending all my time cutting out LDPE and ending up with a big,
useless pile of it.

Thanks

-Michael