[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IGNITION COIL POWERED TESLA

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
> HAS ANYBODY EVER TRIED TO USE AN IGNITION COIL TO POWER A SMALL TESLA?

	Yes.  Using a 12 volt coil from the speed shop and an 0.0047 ufd
capacitor I can get 4"+ sparks from the top terminal to a sharp point
when running about 1 amp at 12 volts into the coil.  Only very fine
stramers without the sharp point, but beautiful in the dark.  I'm sure
it would be possible to do much better with some real care.

I GUESS
> IT WOULD BE GRATE FOR A DC COIL WOULDNT IT?

	Why?  Not obvious.

HOW WOULD I RECTIFY THE AC TO DC
> USING A STANDARD IGNITION COIL?COULD I JUST PLACE A DIODE ON THE OUTPUT?ANY
> COMMENTS WELCOME--MATT

	You can use a series string of diodes, but need to worry about the
inverse voltage rating of the diodes.

Ed