[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Top Load Optimizing - Q?

In a well-written article, Rodney posted the following:

"The main concept with top-load design is matching it to the secondary coil.
With capacitive/reactive tuned circuits, the way to obtain zero impedance is
to match your capacitive reactance with the inductive reactance."  The
complete article may be viewed here:

http://www.geocities-dot-com/ResearchTriangle/Campus/9367/tuning.html

He goes on to calculate capacitive reactance of the torroid top load, and
states that the goal is to design your top load so that this capacitive
reactance cancells out the native inductive reactance of the secondary.  He
goes on to make the following statement:

"The secondary coil is best described as an air-core inductor ? for that
matter, any coil of wire is known as an inductor. As capacitors have
capacitive reactance, inductors have *inductive* reactance.  The formula for
calculating the inductive reactance of your secondary coil is  X(L) = 2 * Pi

My question is this:  Programs like Wintesla calculate both the inductive
reactance of a secondary AS WELL AS the native capacitance of that
secondary.  Should I attempt to design my coil such that total capacitive
reactance (secondary + toroid) cancells out the inductive reactance?  Or do
we ignore the native capacitance of the secondary?

It's not the size of the spark, it's the frequency.
FREE Personalized Email at Mail-dot-com
Sign up at http://www.mail-dot-com/?sr=signup