From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 5:45 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: UV Detection methods was Ultraviolet light from brush
discharge.

Original Poster: "Troy Peterson" <highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com>

Hi all,
Probably a little off topic, but I just have to throw in my observations

>     I know many of us here are all concerneed about UV rays and damage
> towards our eyes.  Sarah Thompson stated something called "fairy Liquid".
If
> i've got the right idea, you can take this stuff under a uv light and it
will
> glow(like glow in the dark paint.) I was wondering if it's possible to use

I was testing my coil using a static gap in a peice of PVC pipe (sorta like
an RQ gap), I had the gap just sitting on the carpet sideways (yeah, I know,
BIG fire hazzard) with an ac fan blowing through the gap away from me. I was
just running the coil for short runs in the dark when I noticed that the arc
from the gap hardly lit up the room, except for white papers on the wall,
which glew (is that a word) bright purple - that is to be expected, but the
odd thing was, that after I turned off the coil there was a glowing violet
plume on the carpet in the direction that the fan was blowing (through the
back of the gap, like a jet engine exhaust). It was like there was
glow-in-the-dark material in the carpet, and it lasted clearly vissible for
at least 5 secconds before fading away. Has anyone ever heard of unlikly
materials aquiring(storing) UV energy like this and slowly releasing
it? -thought it was weird anyway.

Troy Peterson [VE7SOK]
highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com