[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitors, coils, xformers, oh my....

   woohoo!  My first post
 Well, I caught the bug....I scrounged up a flyback from a dead mono monitor
(being a computer tech/geek is fun), and rigged up a HV generator in short
order.  Loved it.  Gots to have more of it...Soooo...I'm slowly gathering
parts for my first coil...I'm only wanting to start with a 4" secondary, and
a single 15/30 NST (already begged for and got!  Jacob's ladders are
*sweet!*)  Now, I have stared at the math till I'm having nightmares about Q
and LC and inductance.  But I'm *gonna* figure this out.  I have tinkered
with leyden jars long before I knew how dangerous they could be (figured
that one out fast though :)  Anywho, to keep the drivel to a minimum, I
fully intend to experiment with this, and above all have fun (safely).  My
questions...

  I am going to try both SW caps and making my own MMC.  Will the same
capacitor types used for the MMC for tesla application also work for an EM
can-crusher&/or quartershrinker?

  Magnet wire...I live here in (sometimes) sunny FL, but nobody wants to
sell me the 1000' of wire I need (before you freak, I'm only needing ~400ft
for a secondary, but have a few other projects going too that could use it,
and bulk=cheap!)  Something about "liability" or some lawyer-induced
hysteria...  Soo...looks like online ordering for me.  Any good links or
sources?

   HV wiring...In my browsing I've seen many a cap and other HV components
hooked up using thin PVC insulated wire & alligator clips.  I know it isn't
a permanent setup.  But how well can they handle that current?  Or are they
just there to prevent the residual buildup of the caps? (I have ~200ft of
solid 16awg copper wire insulated by what looks like about 1/8" thick
teflon. Label was peeled off the roll, but it seems to be *heavy* duty
stuff.  so far, works beautiful)

  For my coil, I think using a conical primary will work the best, but I may
be wrong.  Either way, I won't mind re-bending the tubing to helical or flat
spiral if need be (and will probably do it to see what happens anywho :)

When I figure out my specs I'll post them here for dissection by the pro's.
wintesla & good old pen& paper are my friends.  Anywho, thanks for your time
:)

 Sundog..encrypted-eese for "Let's blow the main breaker"