[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: variac

Don't assume that the power drawn by an NST will be limited to anything
close to it's faceplate rating.  In Tesla service, particularly when using a
Larger-Than-Mains-Resonant tank capacitor, the power drawn will be much
higher.  Current speculation is that this is due to saturation of the
current limiting shunts.  I find that with my 15kV/60mA NST (no
modifications to current shunts), I pull over 20 Amps from my 15A variac,
even with a PFC capacitor.

I'd recommend finding a 15-20 Amp unit.  You may not need it now but you
will have room to grow.  Ebay always has a large selection at reasonable
prices.  No need for 3 phase.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA