[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Avalon

Hi All

I've been trying hard to ignore this topic, but ....

At 07:05 14/03/2000 -0700, Greg Leyh wrote:

>An interesting project, but not much to comment on so far.
>
>The charging circuitry would come much later in the design
>process, once the primary circuit parameters and the prime
>power source have been defined.  It seems unusual that the
>rotary gap would be designed in such detail at this point,
>when the primary circuit parameters are not known, even to
>an order of magnitude, it would seem.
>
>Overall, it appears that improved sequencing of the design
>steps could greatly benefit the project at this point.

Being the gentleman he is, Greg has been very polite.  A variety of
experienced members have raised a never-ending list potential problems with
a project of this magnitude and I think it would be fair to say that there
is a considerable degree of skepticism about the building of a 250 kVA coil
by a group who's recent posts were about "Corona" salt-water caps !

The Geek's are in "catch-22".  They want to enlist considerable sponsorship
and funding, but to do that they have to have a "project design".  They
clearly lack the experience and engineering knowledge to even remotely
contemplate building such a coil, therefore will need to enlist
professional help (the likes of Greg, Bill, etc.).  Problem is, these folks
are as stated - professional, they have heard a hundred "pipe dreams"
before and are highly unlikely to get involved unless they see a serious
financial commitment (and a realistic chance of completion) up front.

As Greg states, "not much to comment on so far" .....

IF the Geeks really want to do this (and I would actually love to see them
succeed - really) then they need to start sounding like a serious concern,
rather than the "excited bunch of kids" I have this mental picture of at
the moment.

Before you start designing rotary gaps, try raising the capital to perform
a "study of feasibility".  This might mean walking into a range of offices,
including Greg and/or Bill's, putting a cheque on the table and approaching
the topic from the foundation-up, rather than the other way around.

With proven feasibility and committed financial support (in the bank), I
imagine you would attract some serious interest and there may be a hope.

Cheers

Mark