[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The worlds Largest Coil

>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> > >You're looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars to build something
>like
> > >this, without considering any of the electrical components, just for
> > >structural materials, equipment rental (cranes, etc.), and crew
>(riggers,
> > >ironworkers, etc.)
> > >

> > Easily $150,000 though I am planning on $200K right now. It seems like a
>lot
> > doesn't it? But look at it from the big picture.
>
>Actually, it seems remarkably low..

Current budget is $250,000 but will be trimmed in time :) I LOVE my
sponsors!

> > We will have to get the services of a construction company. Maintainence
>is
> > easy, I'm a rock climber, and many of my friends are too. Rappelling is
>FUN!
> > :)
>
>But not if you have to hang in a harness for 3 weeks, rassling a heavy
>spool of wire and so forth.. Been there, done that, it isn't any fun after
>the first few hours....   Rig a scaffold like window washers use with a
>motorized winch.  Your insurance cover will require something like it
>anyway.

This is true. But how do we mount a scaffold lift on the side of a coil?
This won't be easy.

> > >You can get arbitrarily long lengths (think about cross country power
> > >lines) of wire.. Splice it like any other wire, twist, solder, crimp,
> > >whatever..  You better look into copper futures (or use aluminum)...
>The
> > >60% increase in resistance won't make much difference, and it will be
>much
> > >cheaper and lighter...
> > > >

> > ACSR would be a good choice then...and I can get massive spools donated
> > easily (I have friends in the local power company) :)
>
>There you go... you probably don't need huge diameter though.. I haven't
>seen ACSR in small sizes (like AWG4-6), but that doesn't mean it doesn't
>exist.

hmmmmm...any ideas? What other than ACSR would be good? Size?

> > >Make the Q higher... or make wimpy sparks.. your choice...If you want
> > >use resonant rise to get the high voltage, you're sort of constrained..
> >
> > Alright, how do we get Higher Q?
>lower loss... Which is a flip answer, I realize..  Mostly, you need to do
>some serious simulation and calculation work to establish the bounds of
>your problem before you start down a path which is infeasible.
>

> > hmmm...from this height you could probably see it from space....lol
> > Line of sight for the stacks is about 5 to 20Miles depending on
>direction.
>
>Actually, horizon distance, on level ground, approximately d = 1.2*sqrt(h),
>d in mi, h in feet,  So a you could see the TOP of a 100 foot high tower
>from 12-15 miles away..(depending on how high the observer is...)

Look at a topographical map of the area. It's very weird, big hills on one
side, flat on the other.

> > >components..
> > >

> > Neet toy :) I like the fire vortex :)
>
>You should see it when you make a big fire vortex (try 5 gallons of
>gasoline in a puddle on the ground..) (DONT TRY THIS AT HOME...!! or if
>there is any wind at all!!)

I LOVE being in this line of work :) Perhaps I will build a little version,
like for a 10' tall vortex in the future.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org