[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Avalon

Hi Greg,

> Original Poster: "Greg Leyh" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> An interesting project, but not much to comment on so far.
>
> The charging circuitry would come much later in the design
> process, once the primary circuit parameters and the prime
> power source have been defined.  It seems unusual that the
> rotary gap would be designed in such detail at this point,
> when the primary circuit parameters are not known, even to
> an order of magnitude, it would seem.
>
> Overall, it appears that improved sequencing of the design
> steps could greatly benefit the project at this point.

Of course, you are correct. I was just answering the
questions in the order which Chris asked them ;o) and
I KNOW you are a great fan of 3ph DC rigs (from the
talks on the GTL and your fantastic website), which is
why I wanted to direct his attention in your direction ;o))

Of course, I also told him all the "gurus, who do this for
a living" will have only very limited time. Which means
working out the planning sequence even more important
;o)).

As to the rotary design, I was only trying to give Chris
an subtle idea, what dimensions he will need, to cope
with his planned input power. As Bill already pointed
out, even in his 125kVA design, the tips are running at
supersonic speed (with very high G-forces at work)
and that you will also need a solid knowledge of thermo
and fluid dynamics to construct a RSG of the necessary
size. Not to mention the structural design problems, which
such a large RSG would present. Personally, I truely have
to admit, I WOULD be too chicken to start such a project
from scratch.

While we are at it, could you quickly explain, why you
used a helical instead of a flat primary? I realize that
with such monster coils, the helical coil shouldn´t
present any secondary to primary flashover problems
(which IS a problem that small coils have). But do you
really need such a high coupling at the energy level
you are working with? Or is the coupling in reality not
as high as the design would lead one to believe?

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard