[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Transformer design

Reinhard
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll include some of your ideas in an updated
version (like a cycles option, I should have put it in but got lazy). To
answer one question, all input dimensions are inches. Originally I did have
two choices for core material but decided to take it out, an improved
version could give the designer the ability to choose from a list of core
materials, if someone can give me a list of materials and the flux constants
it would be a simple modification, as it stands the program uses 60,000 for
modern core "iron" at 60 cycles. As far as the colors go, I should have, and
will put in a color customizing option along with some help features,
however, if you hold the curser over the core inputs some rudimentry help
pops up. As this is an ongoing project I am very open to suggestions for
improvement.
thanks again
Mike
Snip

> The program is freeware, The name is WinXformer and can be
>downloaded at the following link. http://www.parlorcity-dot-com/zap/Files/

Nice program! Quite a bit more informative, than what I put into my
TC design program ;o)). I was only able to do a quick review of the
program (will get into it deeper, when I find the time). There are a
few things, that I found a little annoying (no offense meant):

-Get rid of black ink on a blue background. This is incredibly
 difficult to read.

- Add a switch (or even a direct input field) for the operating
  frequency so that everyone (50/60Hz) can use it ;o)).

- I am not an xformer design guru, but it would be nice if you
  could include core material and operating frequency into the
  khz (for ferrite xformers) range. Or at least have a predefined
  selection of core material and operating frequencies.

- Add a help section to the different fields, so that the user knows
  what you are asking for and / or what the results are.

- Tack on some variables to the in- and out- puts. For example,
  you have core loss. In what do you measure it (i.e. %)? Or length
  values: Are they in inch or cm? Etc.

- In the lower part of your program, the outputs are mixed. You have
  core loss, hysterisis losses, combined with primary and secondary
  layers. How about dividing the outputs a bit different. One set of
  outputs gives you all info on the secondary. Another for the primary
  and yet another for core info and a last section for misc. info.

- For ease of use, you may want to include the xformer picture within
  your program and once the user has inputed the values, show him
  the picture, with his values tacked into the xformer picture. Also
  print out this picture with the selected values tacked on, when the
  user prints out his design.

- You may want to include warnings. I made a fictitious 10kVA xformer
   and your program told me to use 13 turns on the primary ;o)) at
   230V. Of course, a program can only spit out good values, if the user
   inserts good inputs, but it might be handy to underline dangerous
   values in red to warn the user "hey, this wonŽt work properly".

I didnŽt find the time to back check your calculations, so IŽll trust
you ;o)). I think your program has some great potential, if you
*sharpen* it a bit. Go for it ;o))

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard