From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 7:58 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST insulations

Original Poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bunnykiller" <bigfoo39-at-idt-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: "Mike Nolley" <mnolley-at-mail.slc.edu>
> >
> > The thread about de-potting NST's sparked a question about potting
> compounds---
> >     Does anyone know a relatively cheap source of paraffin, besides
> > candles?  I'm
> > planning to eventually pot my power supply in something that is
> non-toxic, and
> > won't leak.  I have heard about mineral oil + poly combinations, and I
may go
> > this route if I haven't yet found candles, or some other source of
paraffin
> > which
> > isn't prohibitively expensive.
> >             --Mike
>
> Hi Mike ...
>
> try the grocery store and look for "canning" parafin   it comes in 1 lb
> blocks ( about the same size as 1 lb butter ) and it runs about 2.50$ a
> brick...
>
> Scot D

	Only trouble is that the stuff shrinks a lot when it cools, and also
tends to have a lot of voids in it.  I've tried to do something better,
such as cooling it very slowly and addint more material to fill in the
hole which forms on top, but never solved the problem of the voids.
Good, messy old hot tar is much better.

Ed