[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Salt water caps

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
Original Poster: "Ruud de Graaf"

>>Original Poster: "Tom Stathes"
>>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone could offer some insite on the salt water cap. I
>>presently am using 7 of these in my coil, Ther are 1L wine bottles, (They
>are
>>all Mondave wine bottles.) They are wraped with Al foil, but not with
>tape.
>>They each have a cppacitenece of ~ 0.9nf. Would wraping them in tape
>bring up
>>the capacitence. If i were to go with the saltwater bath method how much
>do
>>you think it would increase the capacitence by? I need to make a .03uf
>cap,
>>but i dont want to use 30 bottles.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>--Tom
>>

>Hi Tom,
>
>I don't think your bottles can hold more 'juice' if you use tape or
>saltwater i.o. Al foil, do you think so?I've made once a saltwater bath cap
>and it works nicely (for this kind of
>cap), but at the moment I covered one bottle with Al foil (and did not
>connect it directly!) the bottle was pierced (plastic bottles). This
>indicates clearly a higher efficiency ot the cap and of course that they
>were to weak for the used transformer. If you want to make a 30nF cap, you
>really should try an extended polyethylene rolled cap (look for the
>description on the www.pupman-dot-com archives). If you use thin plastic and
>connect them serial, the voltage over one cap will not be that high, so I
>believe that working with oil could be avoided. I will certenly try this
>approach.
>However, there are members of this list (with a lot more TC experience) who
>are convinced that oil is necessary. Maybe you should look what is available
>and what is easy to get. You will be surprised what is possible when you
>change the buying attitude into the reuse attitude. When I drive! !
through the
>country, I'll see potential caps and coils everywhere!
>
>Ruud de Graaf
>Greetings from lovely and wet Holland

Thanks for the info.  Believe me, i always look for what is cheap and easy
to get.  So far the total cost of my 1.3kva coil is under $50. Im 17 and
can almost always get things for "a school science project" (ha ha ha!!!) I
was thinking of making a stacked plate cap out of HDPE buckets.  I can get
these free frome the laundromat down the block from me.  The only reason i
was using the wine bottles in the first place was because i work in a
resturant and get them for free.

Do You Yahoo!?