[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about ballasting and VA

<<
> No, I run pig powered systems with .1 and .2uf caps with only a
> variable inductor in series with the load to "limit" current. It is the
> "limiting process" that is under question here. My thought (which
> echoes Ross Overstreets) is that current is not being limited but,
> instead, capacitive reactance is being canceled by inductive
> reactance (I'm guessing).

> Jeff
  >>>\

Jeff,

I agree with you.  The ballast is more of a current "facilitator" rather
than a limiter as the cap is charging.  However, when the gap fires,
then the inductor does limit the current.  In this sense the ballast
serves a dual purpose; it gives *more* current to help charge the
cap faster, but gives *less* current when the gap is firing, to save
power at that time, and to prevent power arcing at the gap.

Cheers,
John Freau