[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about ballasting and VA

Hi all,

 I have been reading this thread with some interest as I too vary my coil
using a
large variac
to control current. Last night I went and spent considerable time dialing in
various levels of
current, (my meters show V and A to the transformer), at a certain point
the spark
gap becomes
markedly brighter however the arc lengths do not increase in length but
there is
some
increase in activity although this may be subjective as I am looking at the
meters,
the gap, and the arcs
somewhat at the same time, (multitasking :-)),. The point is that I can still
increase current but all that happens is
sporadic firing of the safety across the gap.

Regards

 Robi Copini in OZ.