Re: Spark-Gap Voltages

Hi Bart,

        I like to have rotary gaps set "really close".  As close as I can
safely
get them.  This seems to cut down on gap loss a bit.  But the best reason is
that you have a wide range of power control with the variac.  When the voltage
is still pretty low, the gap will still fire allowing the coil to run at lower
levels.  Also, LTR coils need to fire the gap 'before' they will go to full
power.  So a tight gap setting helps get them started.

Rotary gaps tend to fire before the electrodes actually align.  I think the
high air flow and such make them need high voltages to fire than if they were
still with the same gap.  I have not actually proven this but working with
them, they seem to behave that way.

Cheers,

        Terry