Re: gap breakdown voltages

Essentially the same data is available at
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/spherev.htm and
http://home.earthlink/~jimlux/hv/rodv.htm for sphere and rod gaps
respectively.  I'll have to put a needle gap table out there.  The needles,
by the way, are some standard sewing needle (I don't recall which number
needle off hand, 00 I think)

As to why it isn't in the "rubber handbook" any more, I'd guess that not so
many people are measuring voltages with spark gaps any more.  Modern solid
state DMM's and inexpensive HV probes are a whole lot easier.  Those who
are doing spark gap measurements are probably doing them to some ANSI or
national standard, and have the table in front of them. The space in the
book was displaced by something more useful (in the editor's view).  The
older editions of the handbook used to have all sorts of emergency
treatment stuff in the beginning: all those instructions about
extinguishing fires using a cabon tetrachloride extinguisher, for instance.

----------
> From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: RE: gap breakdown voltages
> Date: Saturday, July 29, 2000 8:32 PM
>
> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> One of the most "famous" spark gap tables was published for years in the
> CRC physics handbooks.  I don't know why they stopped publishing this
table
> I used often...  I scanned it below:
>
> http://1071737050/site/misc/SGapVolt.jpg
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Terry
>

> At 08:18 PM 7/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >Richard -
> >
> >You are correct there are many spark tables in electrical handbooks but
they
> >are not particularly consistent. Spark length is dependent on many
> >variables. The electrical handbook tables are for specific conditions
and
> >not for Tesla coils. That is why I made the graphs shown in the Tesla
Coil
> >Design Manual. These graphs were made from real world Tesla coil data
that I
> >had collected from coiler's information. All coilers do not agree on
some of
> >this information.
> >However, no one else has published similar graphs so the TCD Manual
graphs
> >will have to do for the present.
> >
> >John Couture

<richardbarton-at-caving5.freeserve.co.uk>