Re: sync motor question

Hi Marc,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
> hello all,
> i have a question for those in the know about sync motors. i recently
> got a blower assembly, it has a robbin myers ac motor on it, on the
> label it reads 115v 60htz 3350rpm\ 115v 50hz 2725rpm, 1/3 hp.
> my question is, since the speed is labeled different for the two
> frequencies, could this be a synchronous motor?

No. The line frequency directly affects the rmp. You could however make is
synchronus. See Terry's Fritz web site for excellent instructions.

> it already has a very nice 5" flat belt pulley that bolts to a hub on
> the shaft, and very smooth bearings.
> i am hoping this can be a good find for a srsg?
> thank you all in advance,  marc metlicka

1/3Hp is the key here. Should work just fine. I suggest trying it out as it is
then modify it for sync operation later if you so choose. This would gain you
some experience between the two types. Once it's modified, there's no going
back. If your using an NST, you may want to modifiy it as an SRSG and not worry
about running it in non-sync mode. Non-sync rsg's are hard on NST's.

Bart