Re: terry fritz here is the info

Hi Danny,

At 12:18 AM 7/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>i didn't know that the capicatince dropped when capicators were wired in
>series.  i assumed that  3 capacitors in series would have the same
>capacatance as 1  but with 3 times the voltage.  i was jsut guessing from my
>limited electronics tinkering.  lets go with the cap value of .040mfd.   i
>got a good topload made to.   i managed to get the wire frame from a big
>electric fan shroud.  my crude spark gap is made from 2 pieces of copper
>tubing hammered flat   they are bolted to a piece of wood and bent so that
>they are easily ajustable.  no variac   all i have is 2 mot's in series and
>computer power bar for a switch.  i know what you mean about the mot's being
>deadly.  i already got hit once by them and got burned pretty darn good.  i
>don't mess with them any more.  i am about 15 feet away from the whole
>operation when there is any power applied.  well  thanks a bunch for the help
>  -danny
>
>.040mfd  mmc
>Secondary diameter 6.5 inches
>Secondary length 24 inches
>Two MOTs for 5000V
>7 primary turns 2 inches apart
> 22 gage wire on the secondary
>23 wraps per inch
>552 wraps for the whole coil (23x24)
>primary inner diam is 10"
>primary outer diam is 34"
>16"diam 7" thick foil covered fan shroud for topload

Your coil should run at about 303.6kHz.
The secondary inductance is 11.95mH
The secondary effective capacitance is 23.0 pF
You should tap the primary at 3.7 to 4 turns. (like just under 4)

The fan shroud is a neat idea!

Glad the contact with the MOT was "survived" =:-O

Try tapping the primary at just under 4 turns and see if you get any
output.  There should be a few sharp edges on the shroud that should have
at least a little arcing of them if not nice streamers.  If not, write back
with any details of what happened and we will dig deeper...

Cheers,

	Terry