RE: PVC or not

When I first began the required reading to build a coil, I started by
reading Richard Quick's pages on pupman-dot-com. HIGHLY suggested reading. He
takes you step-by-step through the selection and preparation procedure of
using a PVC form. It involves driving out the hydroscopically absorbed
moisture from the form and then sealing it before you begin to wind your
wire.
I decided although the PVC certainly was cheap, the extra work factor (time
etc) wasn't worth the savings to me (I emphasize to me) so I opted for much
more expensive Plexi ($75) but eliminated the heat lamps etc.

It pretty much comes down to budget. And in this case, I am glad I have one!
My coil, almost finished, has cost me about $400 (inc a brand new 15/60
Allanson NST). If I were an average high school student I might have a tough
time finding that much loose change in the sofa.

Regards and safe coiling.

Ted R.
Subject: Re: PVC or not

Original poster: "D.Wightman" <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>

you mean to tell me that you have to dry the pvc??????now im confused...why
do you do this and how...

>Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>
>>From one who chose acrylic...it is very attractive indeed. Mine is a 6
inch Plexiglas form. The gold of the copper and the Min Wax Poly (6+coats)
look
>good. I paid about $75 for 3 feet of 1/8 wall so that's $25/foot. Your
quote for 14/16" diam is decent at $20-30/foot! I'd go for the acrylic and
skip