Re: Strange shock (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>         How can the charge on the interior be responsible for effects
observed
> entirely on the outside?  If a person were to stick one hand inside the
> coil and one on the outside I can imagine him getting a powerful shock.
> On the other hand, insofar as static (DC) charges are concerned, the
> coil forms an equipotential surface which seems to me to mean that the
> charge observed must indeed be resident in the exterior dielectric
> coating.  All my observations here have involved moving my hands up and
> down the secondary and getting shocks.

Really, I can't see a good mechanism, unless you put your hand or
something grounded inside the coil form. Charges that produce shocks
as described must be DC charges at the outer surface of the wire
coating.
Think also in the possibility of charges in the operator, that could
be close to the operating coil wearing insulating shoes, or over a
highly insulating floor. I have seen this occur many times to people
close to operating electrostatic generators.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz