RE: performance/tuning question

Hi John,

At 05:10 PM 7/27/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Terry -
>
>Many thanks for all that information on the NST "sweet spots". I had heard
>about these possible conditions but had little specific information. I would
>be interested in more information so these special conditions can be
>incorporated into a TC program. The resonant cap is no problem but how about
>those other "sweet spots". At present it looks to me like they are not
>changing Tesla coils outputs very much.
>
>For the resonant cap I use the following equation.
>    C = 10^6 * I / (6.283 * Hz * V)
>
>For a 15/60 900 watt NST - 60 Hz
>    C = 10^6 * .06 / (6.823 * 60 * 15000) = .0106 uf
>
>The gain in current or wattage is about 2 to 3 times normal.
>
>I agree it is difficult to compare spark outputs for these special
>conditions. However, with a TC program you show something approximate based
>on the available empirical data. Hopefully coilers who have coils will test
>them so more information is available.
>
>What is the LTR line frequency timing theory?

The best LTR explanation I have seen is/was Richie Burnett's web page at:

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/r.e.burnett/

Unfortunately, I don't think it is still working?!?!  My paper at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/papers/modact/modact.html

Describes my large LTR coil.  During the optimization of this coil by trial
and error, I chased for higher and higher efficiency by changing all the
values.  As it turned out I could get the best power out by using a big
primary cap (24nF) and very carefully timing the spark gap firing.  The gap
actually fires significantly after the peak cap voltage, as odd as that sounds.

There is no book or anything that describes this well.  We really need to
find out what happened to Richie's wonderful site!  (and copy it this time :-))

The third case can be demonstrated (very risky to NST) by hooking a 30nF
cap to a large NST and turning up the variac slowly.  There will be a
sudden point when the NST will "growl" very loudly and the current and
voltage will jump to extreme levels.  Unfortunately, the NST will destruct
in a matter of seconds.  I "play" near the edge with my small LTR coil, but
I am not sure there is an easy safe way to use the power available there.
I have coined the term "SLTR" for Saturating Larger Than Resonant to
describe coils that use this.  I have only heard of my little LTR coil that
has this capability but I don't use it...  I posted two old note at the end
here on this.  The archives say much more an all this as does the following
text file of the last six months of posts if you have a program that can
search it for keywords.

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/1-6OF00.ZIP

Cheers,

	Terry