Subject: RE: performance/tuning question
Author:  "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> at INTERNET
Date:    7/26/00 8:13 PM

Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

     <snip>

The next is point about 1.5 times the resonant size (static gap) where the
NST list still able to charge the cap to the full NST rated peak voltage.
This is the "LTR" type coil we often speak of.  The trick here is to charge
a large cap to a specified voltage and take advantage of the increased
energy.  With a rotary gap, one can really tune the inductive kick effects
and use really large primary caps to get the full VA rating of the
transformer into the coil's primary.  Unfortunately, this tuning is a bit
tricky but tunable multi-string MMCs have mostly solved this.  My 15/60 LTR
coil uses a 24nF cap and my small 9/30 uses 27nF.  The resonant size caps
would be only 10.7nF and 8.84nF.  The 27nF cap stores three times the
energy and fires at 120BPS.  The 8.84 cap would have to fire at 360BPS for
the same power through put.  However, 360BPS does note "ring" well with the
60Hz line voltage so the throughput is worse due to erratic gap firing.
LTR coils were literally born from line frequency timing theory so they are
truly optimal in this respect.  LTR coils do not over voltage the NST and
they only over current them a "little" (50%) which NSTs seem to take in
stride.  If the spark gap on an LTR sync coil fails, the voltage actually
drops about 30%...  It is interesting to note that the sync gap
configuration was "discovered" by computer modeling before the real
hardware was demostrated and "real" testing proved the computer's
prediction.  No "seat of the pants" stuff there! :-))
     <snip>