Re: Tesla Coil Computer Programs

Tesla list schrieb:

> Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 7/20/00 6:12:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> <<
>  Hi Guys,
>  There seems to be lots of interest in TC calc programs these days.  Well,
>  I'm not sure if "the best things in life are free" but it seems that the
>  best TC calc programs are.  The following link takes you to my TC test and
>  measurement page where I have a reworked version of the Sonderman
>  spreadsheet as well as a link to Terry's E-tesla file.
>
>  http://users.better-dot-org/roverstreet/resources/measure.htm
>
>  I think that the spreadsheet using good ole Medhurst and Wheeler is the way
>  to go.  It gets you within 10% and tells you all you need to know to make
>  the parts.  Terry's E-Tesla Program can calculate your secondary resonant
>  freq as accurately as you can measure your physical dimensions!
>
>  The Excel spreadsheet rocks because:
>  1.  it's Free!  (well, you need Micro$oft Excel)
>  2.  You can see the eqns and change them as you see fit
>  3.  You can reformat the sheet, add new sheets, make custom calcs, add
>  notes, etc
>
>  The 3rd reason is the one that really has me sold.  I love being able to
>  type stuff in empty cells, add extra formulas, save a version of the
>  spreadsheet for each new coil, etc.
>
>  Here is the history of the spreadsheet (copied from my page).  Links to both
>  other versions are on my page.  Ed - thanks for making the original version!
>  ----------
>  This is a revision of Corey Ruch's revision of Ed Sonderman's original TC
>  calculator spreadsheet.  Each version has different things that the
>  programmer felt was important or reflected the individual's style.  My
>  version is mostly consists of a GUI change that uses less screen space for
>  the same info.  I also cleaned up some of the equations.  The spreadsheet
>  programs are my favorite because they are so easy to modify to suit your
>  individual taste or needs.  The program is designed with the intermediate
>  coiler in mind so people not familiar with basic (really basic) TC theory
>  may have a few questions.
>  -----------
>
>  Making arcs in SoCal,
>  Ross-O
>   >>
> Ross,
>
> I agree.  Whenever I run a set of calculations on someone's coil, I just save
> it under their name and can go back to it in the future.  I find the
> spreadsheet program very useful for finding out where to tune someone's
> primary by playing some what if type calculations.  I enter the secondary and
> toroid information.  Then the primary info and check the required capacitor
> value.  Then I go back to the primary calculations and slowly decrease or
> increase the number of turns, watching the calculated capacitor value until
> [...]

Ed, Ross, John,

I agree completely. And I like to add my 0.02$: Functions, oftly
overlooked in Excel are 'Goal seek', 'Solver', the
'lookup'-function and 'conditional formatting'. In my version of
Ed's spreadsheet, I'm using 'Goal seek' or 'Solver' for getting
the tap on my primary, to fit my existing cap value, by solving
the implicit relationship (Whereas 'Goal seek' is for single
variable solution only, Solver can be used for multivariable
variation, to meet 'any' nonlinear goal-function). The manual
variation of number of turns, you mentioned above, can then be
calculated in a very easy 1-step procedure: The existing
cap-value is entered, and the percent value of primary inductance
is varied, until the resonant frequency matches the one of the
secondary-system (It's also a flexible replacement of John
Coutures version, of entering the cap-value, in JHCTES 3.1). The
'lookup'-function will then transfer the approximate number of
turns for the tap on the primary, to a summary table of the whole
TC-design, in my version of the spreadsheet. I'm using
'conditional formatting' to shade out calculations done, but
extrapolating the physically existing conditions, i.e. I shade
out calculations for turns 12..15 of my primary, if I have only
11 turns.

Another easy with spreadsheets, I like, is: The measured values
of your TC may just be entered, close to the calculated values,
to be at hand. And it's easy to make other information, like
wire-tables, dielectric-data, sparkgap-tables, important info's
from the Tesla-list... available, by creating separate tables in
the spreadsheet. Ed, I like to thank you for providing the
initial sheet; it helped a lot, and the results were close to
experimental, with all my coils. One of my versions of your
Excel-sheet can be downloaded:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/index.htm
then goto 'TC-Lab'; then to 'Spreadsheets';
then download tc_design.zip

If anybody likes to have the Excel for my "Black & White" TC,
please send me email: k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch

Regards, Kurt