RE: Voltage determination

Hi John,

On 25 Jul 00, at 18:49, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

> Bart -
>
> It is a well known fact that the secondary coil inductance affects the
> length of the output spark. This is the main reason that 1000 turns are used
> instead of 100 turns for a Tesla coil. The 1000 turns gives more inductance
> and longer sparks. Of course there are many other design considerations. The
> theoretical equation is
>    Vs = Vp sqrt(Ls/Lp)
> Note that when Ls is increased the secondary voltage Vs is increased which
> in turn increases the spark length. The factor I used is non linear and
> obtained from empirical data and using mathematical regression.

In order to increase Ls you *have* to change something else if
tune is to be maintained, whether it is decreasing Cs
(physically smaller coil, hence smaller wire, hence higher
secondary losses), increasing Cp (in which case you'd have to
lower Vp in order to retain an identical Ep = same Vout) or
increasing Lp (in which case the impedance ratio is the same =
same Vout). I think it is unrealistic to simply attribute
increased sparklength to a change in one variable only when in
reality others change or must be changed as well. The
foregoing arguments assume negligible losses in the primary
which isn't true either and then of course any modification to
either coil affects k. Not so simple I would say.

Regards,
malcolm