Re: Voltage determination

Hi John,

Couple questions below:

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
> How about using the following equation that takes in the most important
> conditions that affect the output spark? One advantage of using factors is
> that you do not need to know the efficiencies. The factors are based on
> empirical data.
>
>   Spark length = W*Vp*Ls*B
>
>  W = Input watts
>
>  Vp = Factor for Tesla primary volts
>
>  Ls = Factor for secondary inductance
>
>  B = Factor for breaks per second
>
> The JHCTES program uses a similar equation.

How is the secondary's inductance important to spark length? I can see it's
importance to Fr, but not to spark length (power processing maybe?). Inductance
is a factor that naturally increases with coil size - size generally means more
power applied and therefore greater spark length. Is it possible that
inductance here is mistaken as a factor due to naturally occuring mechanics?
Maybe not, I just haven't seen a reason Ls would be thought of as a major
factor to spark length, and if it is, I'd like to know why?

The equation would suggest just increasing Ls to gain spark length. I'm sure
you didn't mean the equation in that way. Maybe you are referring to a higher Q
secondary?

Thanks,
Bart