Re: Tesla's Oscillators and Circuit Controllers

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 7/21/2000 5:14:57 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> > Original poster: "Daniel Boughton" <daniel_boughton-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> >  Has anyone ever tried to duplicate any of Tesla's
> >  mercury interrupter and commutator based oscillators?

	The mercury interruptors have certainly been used with success.  For
example, Antonio has a description of such an arrangement on his web
page, if you look carefully.  Look at:

	http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/acmq.html

and dig around.  Neat page!!!

> I haven't tried exactly what you are mentioning, but tried the type of
> interrupter using a large sheet of lead and a small platinum electrode in a
> sulfuric acid solution.  It worked.  I think the idea came from a reprint of
> a very old book on building large inductors.  I used it to supply a ignition
> coil powered TC.  I applaude your investigation of the old technology.
> Perhaps you will come up with something new and wonderful while experimenting
> with such devices.
> Mike

	That device is similar to that which was/is known as a Wehnelt
interruptor, and was and was used where the only source of voltage for
exciting an induction coil was DC.

Ed