Re: Hard Drive Motors, RSGs and Stuff

At 17:00 17/07/2000 -0600, "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote:

>If you do a little hunting, try to find an old AS-400 mainframe or something
>similar. They have >100LBS hard drives that take up like 8U rack spaces.
>These drives work on 240VAC and the drive motors will spin happily on 110
>and have there own power supply units. We have tinkered with this idea for a
>while. With one of the large drives it should work. The plattens are about
>14"dia and have tons of inertial mass. The motors are VERY powerfull and
>maintain a rock-solid RPM and will live just about forever.

I actually used one of these beasts for my current AsyncRSG.
(NOT the one on my website, haven't put up photos yet)

Don't know the actual HP but from the size looks around 3/4 - 1 HP (ie. big!).

Certainly well made ......... "play, what is play anyway".

Cheers

Mark

Tesla Home Page:   http://www.adelaide-dot-net.au/~mefinnis/