Re: 12/30 NST results, was Haunted House Coil Use

In a message dated 7/17/00 4:16:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Pholp Smiff" <kawanze-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>  Hi people im new to the mailing list and have a question for everyone or
>  anyone who might know the answer. Who holds the record or know of the
>  longest reported arcs from a coil powered by a 12kv-at-30 (neon?)
transformer.
>  I don't know if there's anyone who keeps track, but i'd like to hear
>  something about it. thanks

Pholp,

Welcome to the list.  I get 42" sparks from my 12/30 NST TC.  I have
no idea if it's a record though.  The keys to the performance of my TC
are:  smallish secondary, with 1600 turns of thin (#28awg) wire, properly
sized toroid, 120 bps sync rotary gap, quite a lot of turns on the primary,
and a good quality correctly sized capacitor.  Those are the 6 keys
to good coil performance IMO.  (Using a static gap, the coil gave about
36" sparks.)  The coil can be seen at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page1.html

Cheers,
John Freau