Re: any insulation recomendations for magnet wire

 All,

I think Malcolm may have stumbled onto a good idea. A total voltage vs. total
secondary length parameter would probably be a better representation of  the
parameters that a coil designer will actually run into. I think it's safe to
assume
that HV arc distance in air almost never increases linearly arithmetically
(if 20kv
will arc an inch, 40 kv may arc more than 2 inches, even if every other
parame-
ter, other than the voltage, is identical). Thus the reason why a 1000 turn
coil
with 6 kv turn/turn breakdown voltage could not develop 6 Mv, unless it was
100
ft. tall! And maybe not even then!

Form my experience, arcs >3x the sec. coil length are quite possible with
clas-
sic two-coil systems and from what I've read, arc length/ resonator coil
ratios can considerably exceed this with maggie systems. But these impressive
results can
only be obtained with a properly designed, built, and tuned system.

And then, there's the kVs vs. inches ratio for arcs in air, but that is a
whole 'nother
can of worms.

David