Re: secondary coil form materials

In a message dated 7/16/00 11:37:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "J. Kooiman" <jkooi-at-wish-dot-net>
>
>  Hi John,
>
>  I still have a question about your BPS rate,
>  you state, that with 60 Hz and a static gap you get a higher frequency than
>  120 Hz.
>  That could be,  if you would put the gap closer together than the maximal
>  setting, but then you've got a new problem :
>  Because if they would be closer together, then you wouldn't be charging
your
>  cap to it's full load, since it won't fire
>  at the peak of the sinus.

Jeroen

You are correct, anyone who gets multiple firings per ac half cycle
using a static gap will not be firing at the peaks, but many folks run
their coils this way.  Some folks claim that high break rates are better
than low breaks, but I don't agree.  I prefer low break rates for the
ultimate overall performance.

>  > Also, static gaps tend to fire erratically; not at a pure 120 bps, but
>  > may fire at a mixture of 120 and 240 bps, etc, with firings skipped,
>  > at times, etc... very erratic.
>
>  As stated here above, I conclude that it is at the peak of the sinus and
>  operating at 120 BPS, but if it than skips,
>  how on earth will the break-rate go UP ??

If the firing skips a beat, the break-rate will not go up... did I imply that
before?  If so, I didn't mean to imply it.  In any case, static gaps often
don't really run at 120 bps, but tend to fire at a variable and erratic bps.

Cheers,
John FReau